Characteristics Of Learning
The Thinking Pigs
Having their own ideas
- I can try something different rather than follow what someone else has done.
- I can address a problem with a strategy.
- I can retain my independence – not ask for support straight away even if it takes longer to achieve the outcome.
Using what I already know to learn new things
- I can understand patterns and talk about the predictability of events.
- I can talk about/explain how my process links to a previous experience.
- I can make a link and draw upon knowledge or experiences not immediately related to their activity.
Choosing ways to do things and finding new ways
- I can use a trial and error approach and talk about why some things do or do not work.
- I can choose different ways of approaching activities and adapt if it doesn’t work.
Being involved and concentrating
- I can keep focused on self-initiated activity for a long period of time.
- I can concentrate and be involved in the activity without being distracted.
- I can show care in what I am doing.
- I can show concentration through being silent or thinking aloud.
Keeping on trying
- I can show persistence – I do not give up even if it means starting again.
- I can ask for help/support if I need it.
- I can talk about solutions for challenges with my friends or teachers.
- I can work things through myself.
Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
- I show a sense of satisfaction and pride when I have completed an activity – I want to show and tell people.
- I relish a challenge and continually try to make things better.
- I can evaluate myself and try different things as a result.
- I am intrinsically motivated – achieving things for myself as opposed to adult praise.
Have a go mouse
Finding out and exploring
- I prefer to work on my own/with my friends.
- I can think aloud describing what I am doing.
Using what I know in my play
- I link my ideas to my experiences from home or school.
- I am confident to find the tools, materials and resources I need for a particular idea.
Being willing to have a go
- I do not give up at the first problem – I keep trying.
- I prefer to stick to what I am familiar with.
- I am eager to try new ideas.
- I like to ask for help as I work.
- I prefer to get on with a challenge by myself.